‘Gangubai Kathiawadi’ is a biographical crime film in Hindi, directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali and based on a chapter of Hussain Zaidi’s book ‘Mafia Queens of Mumbai’. The movie stars Alia Bhatt in the lead role as Gangubai Kothewali, a powerful woman from the red-light district of Kamathipura in Mumbai. The story revolves around Gangubai’s journey from being a victim of sexual abuse to becoming a don and a matriarch in her area. The film also features Shantanu Maheshwari, Vijay Raaz, Seema Pahwa, and others in supporting roles. The film was released in India on April 30, 2021, and received positive reviews for its direction, performances, and cinematography.
Gangubai Kathiawadi’s real story is based on the life of a woman named Gangubai Kothewali, who was a powerful and influential figure in the red-light district of Kamathipura in Mumbai during the 1960s. She was born in Kathiawad, Gujarat, in the 1920s and was sold into prostitution at a young age. She was eventually taken to Mumbai and became a sex worker in Kamathipura. However, she later became a prominent figure in the area and became known for her fearless and compassionate personality.
Gangubai was known for her involvement in various social causes and was also an advocate for the rights of sex workers. She even met with the then-Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru to discuss the issues faced by sex workers. Gangubai’s life was documented in Hussain Zaidi’s book ‘Mafia Queens of Mumbai’, which served as the basis for the movie ‘Gangubai Kathiawadi’. However, it should be noted that the film takes certain creative liberties and is not an exact retelling of Gangubai’s life.
She had run off with her dad’s bookkeeper Ramnik Laal when she was youthful and left for Mumbai. She was subsequently auctioned off to a house of an ill-repute proprietor in Kamathipura by her significant other for Rs 500. Here, she continuously rose to drive when she began working in her own house of ill-repute. Kathiawadi utilized her power and impact to battle for the privileges of business sex labourers and elevate them.
While there’s very little documentation of Gangubai Kathiawadi’s true story, Hussian Zaidi gives a seriously definite record in his book Mafia Queens of Mumbai. He referenced that Gangubai Kathiawadi was in great condition with Mumbai mafia don Karim Lala, who had vowed to safeguard her.
Karim Lala was a strong mafia in Mumbai who managed the red light area of Kamathipura during the 1960s. After he vowed to safeguard Kathiawadi from one of his hooligans who had assaulted her two times, she tied him to a rakhi. After that, she was dealt with like a sister by Karim Lala. He had then given over the rule of Kamathipura to his sister Gangubai, and that is how she rose to be one of the mafia sovereigns of Mumbai.
That is the point at which she assumed responsibility and treated every one of the ladies and offspring of Kamathipura as her own. Even though she was a massage parlour proprietor, she never constrained any lady into prostitution. Indeed, even today, individuals of Kamathipura recollect her as their legend for all that she had done for them.
1. Gangu Chaand thi aur Chaand rahegi…
2. Azaad maidan mein Gangubai ne Aankhein jhuka kar nahi, aankhein milakar apne haq ki baat ki hai.
3. Aapki izzat ek baar gayi toh gayi, hum toh roz raat ko izzat bechti hain, saali khatam hi nahi hoti.
4. Izzat se jeene ka, kisi se darne ka nai…na police se, na MLA, na mantra se, na kisi Bh**o se, Kisi ke baap se ni darne ka.
5. Kunwari apne chhoda nahi, Shrimati kisine banaya nahi.
6. Zameen pr baithi bohot achi lag rahi hai Aadat daal le Kyunki teri kursi toh gayi…
7. Arey jab shakti, sampati aur sadbuddhi yeh teeno hi aurtein hai, toh in mardo ke kiss baat ka guroor?
8. Kamathipura Raziyabai ka tha, Kamathipura Raziyabai ka rahega.
9. Lala ko ghar baste huye dekhna pasand hai, ujadte huye nahi.
10. Maa ka naam kaafi nahi hai na? Chalo baap ka naam Devanand.
1. Gangubai Kathiawadi | Meri Jaan | Sanjay Leela Bhansali | Alia Bhatt | Neeti Mohan | Shantanu M
2. Gangubai Kathiawadi | Dholida | Sanjay Leela Bhansali | Alia Bhatt | Official Video | Ajay Devgn
3. Gangubai Kathiawadi | Jab Saiyaan | Sanjay Leela Bhansali | Alia Bhatt | Shreya Ghoshal | Shantanu M
4. Gangubai Kathiawadi | Shikayat | Sanjay Leela Bhansali | Alia Bhatt | Huma Qureshi | Archana Gore
5. Gangubai Kathiawadi | Muskurahat | Sanjay Leela Bhansali | Alia Bhatt | Arijit Singh
6. Gangubai Kathiawadi | Jhume Re Gori | Sanjay Leela Bhansali | Alia Bhatt | Archana |Tarannum | Dipti
The movie does not portray Gangubai as having triumphed over all obstacles. Although she secures the right to education and marriage for the fatherless children of prostitutes, she is unable to achieve recognition for the prostitutes themselves under the law. However, the movie concludes with a voiceover announcing that during Gangubai’s lifetime, no girl in Kamathipura was left unprotected. The question of what will happen after Gangubai’s time is left unanswered, leaving viewers to reflect.
When watching a scene with Gangubai Kathiawadi dialogues, whether on the big screen or the small screen, one is bound to feel goosebumps. We would like to know which Gangubai dialogues in Hindi are your favourite.
1. Who is the director of ‘Gangubai Kathiawadi’?
Ans. The movie is directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali.
2. Who plays the lead role in ‘Gangubai Kathiawadi’?
Ans. Alia Bhatt plays the lead role of Gangubai Kothewali in the movie.
3. What is the story of ‘Gangubai Kathiawadi’?
Ans. The movie is based on a chapter of Hussain Zaidi’s book ‘Mafia Queens of Mumbai’ and tells the story of Gangubai Kothewali, a woman from the red-light district of Kamathipura in Mumbai who becomes a don and a matriarch in her area.
4. Is ‘Gangubai Kathiawadi’ based on a true story?
Ans. Yes, the movie is based on the life of a real woman named Gangubai Kothewali who was a prominent figure in Kamathipura during the 1960s.
5. When was ‘Gangubai Kathiawadi’ released?
Ans. The movie was released in India on April 30, 2021.
6. Who are the other actors in the movie?
Ans. The movie also stars Shantanu Maheshwari, Vijay Raaz, Seema Pahwa, and others in supporting roles.
7. How was the movie received by critics?
Ans. The movie received positive reviews from critics for its direction, performance, and cinematography.